Tuesday, June 14, 2016

June is rock 'n' roll!

Hi guys!

Finally we've got some fishing friendly weather and what happens? Well the pikes are willing to dance and the last few days has been great. Extremely strong pikes, many bites and a few big ones to.

The day before yesterday I went out with Philip from Stinger Productions and we mainly focused on the outer part of the archipelago but also around the islands just south of Karlskrona City. We managed to catch 11 pikes with the top fish measuring 104cm. And Philip, remember now that I wrote we ;) This fish was caught on a Beastly tail 23 from Renz-Stein lures and she went totally crazy. The whole fish went up in the air, danced for a bit and showed her inner anger about being caught by me. At first we actually thought this fish was more like a good +90cm fish but we were very wrong since she measured well over the meter margin. Nice!

Yesterday I went out on my own for a half day trip. Cloudy and rather strong winds from east. First cast gave me an 86cm pike and just the next cast an even bigger fish of 93cm decided to bite. Fishing continued to be good and a well conditioned fish of 99cm was caught just an hour later. Actually, I caught 11 pikes within the first 90 minutes and only two of them was smaller than 80cm. Good average size and such power in all the fish at the moment. Even the small ones are fighting more than well!

Furthermore, I actually lost an even bigger fish that striked very close to the boat. Unfortunately, this fish only got her teeth on the tail and wasn't hooked.... Next time I guess!

When I drove back to Dragsö I was up to 17 pikes which is a very nice result for being in June, half day and alone in the boat. Good times! Now I'm really looking forward to the next session, probably after work fishing later on this week.

At the moment I'm mainly fishing with the Beastly Tail 23 which has becomed one of my favorite lures this year. We have four very hot colours of these available in our reception, including a custom Dragsö colour.

The good thing with this lure is that you can fish it really slow and shallow during the cold months, while some weight added makes this lure a killer in the summer. Rigged with only a shallow screw and one or two treble hooks, it's great in cold waters. Some prefer a single treble hook in the belly, while others like me prefers to use two smaller treble hooks. Sometimes the pikes are biting close to the tail, while sometimes they tend to strike close to the head so therefore I prefer to use two treble hooks. Most times the pike is just hooked in one of these treble hooks so in my opinion it's not really a problem with using two rather than one treble hook.

There are several ways how to add weight onto your rubber lures. Lately, I've been using Svartzonker screw in dots. These works perfectly and are easy to mount and change. You just screw them in like the shallow screws, and they give great balance to the lure if you mount them centrally. The good thing with these is that you can choose yourself if you want to have the weight close to the head (lure will sink head first, bottom bouncing style) or mount them further back in the lure, which in my opinion creates a more realistic movement when you do spin stops. Lure will sink more like in a horizontal line and the tail will do the work for you :-) Many strikes lately have comed when I stop reeling, and it doesn't surprise me because the tail looks super yummy when stop reeling and slowly sinking. Try it out!

// Daniel Wickman
   2016-06-14












0 comments: